Tuesday 27 May 2014

Shaban Kirunda Nkutu

Nkutu was a minister under former President Milton Obote, who was overthrown by Amin in a coup, and the uncle of Amin's first wife. His 1973 killing shocked Ugandans


Killed in 1973:

Wanume Kibedi Nkutu's nephew wrote this to Amin: "SHABAN NKUTU, my own uncle, was abducted from his home at Jinja in January 1973. Local citizens put v.p a determined fight to try and save him, but they were overwhelmed by the gang of assassins. The following day you ordered a statement to be put out saying that Nkutu had run away, and that anybody who saw him should inform the police. At the time of Nkutu's public abduction I was in Ghana leading my country's delegation to the OAU Liberation Committee of which I was outgoing Ch.airman. When I heard of the officia, statement alleging that Nkutu had "run away", I knew he must have been liquidated because, as every Ugandan knew, that was the kind of statement you liked to issue to cover up the work of your assassins.

No comments: